How to open an account and who is responsible for paying the rates and taxes account

Posted: January 8, 2021

How to open an account and who is responsible for paying the rates and taxes account

As the owner of a newly registered property, you will be required to pay Rates & Taxes directly to the local municipality. ANGOR, the Managing Agent does not make monthly payments on your behalf.

(In July 2008, the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality implemented the Municipal Property Rates Act, making individual sectional title owners responsible for the payment of the rates portion of their municipal account directly to the local municipality.)

Once you have bought your property, you will have to apply for the municipal services for your property to be put into your name Rates & Taxes and Utilities in Full Title Developments (Homeowner’s Associations). Your transferring attorney may be able to give you the previous owner’s account number, which may speed up the process of opening a new account.

Go to your nearest Municipal Customer Service Centre and complete the Application for the Supply of Water and Electricity contract.

Remember, you will need to pay a deposit. SA residents pay an estimated two months consumption and non-residents/foreigners pay an estimated six months deposit.

Rates accounts will automatically be created in your name as the new property owner, as soon as the transfer is registered at the Deeds Office.

Ensure that your contact information is correct on any account linked to your property to avoid non-receipt of the account.

Documents required for the application:

  • Applicant’s identity document;
  • Copy of owner’s ID if the applicant is a tenant;

  • Spouse’s details and ID;

  • Spouse’s employer details;

  • Next of kin details;

  • Bank account details;

  • Monthly income; and

  • Meter readings and numbers.

If you are applying in the name of a business, a body corporate, or a tenant, additional information is needed:

  • Founding statement for a close corporation or trust;

  • Certificate of establishment of a body corporate;

  • Company registration number;

  • Company letterhead and authorised signatory details;

  • Lease agreement in the case of a tenant; and

  • Offer to purchase if transfer of ownership is not yet registered.

City of Joburg e-Services:

City of Cape Town e-Services:

City of Ekuruleni e-Services:

YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: Market value vs Replacement cost – and why you need to know the difference